How does WhatsApp Work? (Full Detailed Guide): WhatsApp has over 2 billion users worldwide, but you will never use it if you do not live in popular countries. Facebook’s nearly $ 20 billion acquisition became a staple in 2014.
However, it still offers many benefits over its competitors; if those two reasons are not enough to tell you how to use WhatsApp today, maybe the fact that it is entirely free seals the deal.
If you are new to the party, the most popular chat app in the world is a little more. To help you get started, we’ve put together this beginner’s guide to using WhatsApp, from installing the app to chatting in groups with friends and family. Let’s get started.
You may also like it: What is JPEG and Why should JPEG be Used?
What is WhatsApp?
WhatsApp is a free chat app launched in 2009 in the smartphone era. It wasn’t until 2015 that it became the most popular communication app worldwide, but these days it is ubiquitous in Europe, Latin America, and above all. The Middle East.
WhatsApp’s popularity is that it’s free, no ads, and in fact, it already has a vast user base. It also has end-to-end encryption, which can ensure that your messages are private and secure. In addition to standard one-on-one and group chat, you can also make international voice or video calls for free.
Is WhatsApp Safe and Secure?
With every message and call encrypted end-to-end by default, WhatsApp is very secure for almost all uses. This level of encryption means that even WhatsApp (or its parent company Facebook) cannot see your messages’ content.
However, you must be careful with fishing efforts. Never give your personal information to a stranger, and do not be afraid to block or report users who think you are trying to scam them.
For added security, you can also change the app’s privacy settings to hide your profile picture from contacts or close a read response. WhatsApp supports two-step verification as a six-digit pin.
How to Install WhatsApp?
The first step in learning how to use WhatsApp is to install the app, and it can be done in minutes. As mentioned above, the app is entirely free and only requires a phone number and a mobile device to sign up.
How To Install WhatsApp:
- Install the app from Play Store (Android) or App Store (iPhone).
- Start the application and approve the requested permissions.
- Enter your phone number and press confirm.
- Enter the verification code received via SMS (WhatsApp can do this automatically).
- Import existing contacts into the app (optional).
- That’s it! Now you are ready to start the conversation to install WhatsApp on any of your contacts. If you do not want to import your entire contact list, you can manually add WhatsApp contacts.
How to Set up Your WhatsApp Profile
There is another step you need to take before you start chatting. Creating a profile can help you find out who you are, even if your contacts are not saved in their communications. You can add a photo, name, and small bio.
How to Set up your WhatsApp profile:
- Tap the three dots in the upper-right corner of the application and tap Settings.
- Tap your name at the top of the screen.
- To change your photo, tap the camera icon and select the image.
- To change your name, click on the pencil icon next to the title.
- Enter or adjust your bio by tapping the pencil icon.
You can also change your phone number from this screen, and the process is the same as when you first set up your account. It sends the verification code via SMS, and after all your chats and contacts are confirmed, it is transferred to that number.
How to Start a Chat?
Now that your profile is set, it’s time to start working: Chatting! You have no chats when you first open the app, but you can create a new conversation by tapping the chat bubble in the bottom right.
From there, select the contact you want to chat with from the list. If you already have a previous chat with that contact, it will open instead of the new discussion. All that is left now is to write your message at the bottom of the screen. After entering your text, click on the arrow that appears with the text box.
You can send an image or file to WhatsApp by tapping on the paper clip or camera icon at the bottom of the screen. WhatsApp has a built-in camera app, but it’s a good idea to select your regular camera app in the gallery to take and send photos.
Start a group chat, tap the chat bubble as before, and then tap the new group. Then you can select the members you want to invite, enter the name of the group and start chatting!
All kinds of additional features are available, so check out our WhatsApp tips and tricks list for more information.
How to Use Gif on WhatsApp?
Sending a gif to WhatsApp is a straightforward task, but the exact steps are not clear. To make matters worse, they are different between iPhones and Android phones!
To send a gif to Android, you must first open the chat and tap on the smiley face next to the text box. Then, tap the gif text at the bottom of the screen to see the most popular gif option. Search for more gifs, tap on the magnifying glass at the bottom left, and enter your keywords. Once you find and select your Gif, everyone else should send it to the press.
It is worth noting what phone you have, or if you have a special keyboard installed, the process will be more straightforward. Often you can tap the gif text on the keyboard instead of the complicated process above.
To send a gif to an iPhone, open the chat and tap the plus icon at the bottom left. Then, select the photo and video library from the menu and tap the gif text in the lower-left corner. You can search by tapping the magnifying glass icon below, and you can also start by repeatedly using your favorite gifs. Once selected, press Send.
How to send Gif on WhatsApp (Android):
- Open the WhatsApp chat window.
- Tap the smiley face on the left side of the text box.
- Tap the gif text at the bottom of the screen.
- (Optional) Tap on the magnifying glass icon to search for more gifs.
- Select Gif and hit Send.
How To Send GIF on WhatsApp (iPhone):
- Open the WhatsApp chat window.
- Tap on the plus icon at the bottom left, and then select Photo and Video Library.
- Tap the gif text in the lower-left corner.
- (Optional) Tap the magnifying glass icon at the bottom left to search for more gifs.
- Select Gif and hit Send.
How to Call Using WhatsApp?
One of the most useful features when using WhatsApp internationally is the ability to make phone calls. Unlike standard international voice calls, WhatsApp calls use your internet connection instead of your phone line, so they are entirely free.
To start a phone call on WhatsApp, all you have to do is open the chat window and tap on the phone icon at the top right. If it is a group, you can select multiple people to call at the same time.
The steps for making a video call on WhatsApp are almost the same. Tap the video camera icon next to the phone icon. This is an excellent alternative to FaceTime, especially for Android users!
How to Use WhatsApp on Your Computer?
If you are a person who likes to type on the keyboard (or do not want to watch your phone all day), you can also use WhatsApp from a computer. It would help if you keep your phone nearby, but this is a very convenient way to chat or send files from your PC or Mac.
- In your computer browser, go to web.whatsapp.com.
- Open WhatsApp on your phone, tap the three dots at the top right, and then WhatsApp Web.
- Tap the plus icon in the upper right.
- Point your phone camera at the QR code on your computer screen.
- WhatsApp should be logged into your computer immediately.
- If you do not want to use the browser, you can install the WhatsApp PC client directly on your computer. If you believe someone is using the WhatsApp web without your permission, you can remove your phone’s access by following the first two steps.
How to Use WhatsApp On iPad or Android Tablet Apple iPad?
Every year with iPods, many new features are made like a computer, it is surprising to know that using WhatsApp on your iPad is very difficult. You can install the app directly, but you need to remove it from your phone, clearly not compatible.
The best way to use WhatsApp on your iPad or Android tablet is the web portal mentioned above. However, accessing the site from a mobile browser involves an additional step.
The trick here is to request a desktop version of web.whatsapp.com. It notifies WhatsApp that you are using a computer instead of a mobile device and connecting your phone with the above steps. How you request the desktop version depends on which browser you are using.